Perimeter Bicycling Association of America, Inc. supports several programs not only within each events but also separately:
Perimeter Bicycling Membership
Perimeter Bicycling Association of America Inc. is a Nonprofit membership supported 501(c)(3) organization. Our mission is to enhance wellness by promoting bicycling as a means to good mental and physical health by producing bicycling events benefiting other non-profit organizations. Your participation in our events supports this goal. Please consider becoming a member of Perimeter Bicycling as we continue to develop programs that enhance our community.
New! Bicycle Shop Incentive Program
Now your bicycle shop can earn free entries into our events by signing up for the Bicycle Shop Incentive Program. Encourage your clients, friends, or family members to register for each event by using your personalized El Tour application. For every ten cyclists registered, your shop will receive one free entry to the event!
Please contact our Registration Director for more information on how to participate in this program.
Perimeter Bicycling Education Programs
Perimeter Bicycling Association offers a variety of education programs for youth, in addition to producing bicycling events for the benefit of charitable agencies. The purpose is to encourage young people to adopt a healthy lifestyle by including bicycling in their normal daily activities.
Project L.I.F.E. (Living in Fitness & Excellence)
Project L.I.F.E., an outreach program of Perimeter Bicycling, is an interdisciplinary bicycling, arts and education program for middle and high school youth which provides in-school and after-school opportunities for participants to embrace an active lifestyle.
El Tour Youth Scholarship Program
The Perimeter Bicycling Youth Cycling Scholarship Fund pays entry fees for youths from under-served and low-income families for Perimeter Bicycling events. Youth Funding for the scholarship comes through the support of individuals and businesses in the community, and contributions are tax deductible. If you would like to contribute to this fund to provide entry fees for other deserving children, please make your check payable to “Perimeter Bicycling Association of America, Inc.”, and write “Perimeter Bicycling Youth Scholarship Fund” on your check.
- 17 years or younger on ride day.
- Still in elementary, middle school or high school-public, private or charter.
- Based on $8/hour
- Cyclists 13 and younger volunteer 5 hours
- Cyclists 14 – 18 volunteer 10 hours
- Hours are non-transferable (you cannot earn hours for others)
- Hours are per rider and not cumulative per team or club
- Spring event work trade from January – April
- Fall event work trade from July – November
- Cyclists are responsible for signing in and out
- Volunteer hours can be logged at Perimeter Bicycling events or office
- Work can be done at other sites, but must be pre-approved***
- Hours must be “spent” during the segment they are logged: spring hours for El Tour de Mesa; fall hours for Cochise County Cycling Classic and El Tour de Tucson**
Application of Work Trade Hours:
- Trade for entry into any Perimeter Bicycling event*
- Rider must fill out event application – turn in application to Sheila Foraker at Perimeter Bicycling for approval
- Rider waiver form must be signed by parent or guardian if under 18
- Rider must collect minimum of $20 in contributions for beneficiary
- APPLICATION VALID ONLY WITH SCHOLARSHIP CERTIFICATE ATTACHED. PERIMETER REGISTRATION DEPARTMENT WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY APPLICATIONS
*work trade = cycling event fees
** hours must be logged by 5:00 pm on Thursday before El Tour de Tucson, or 5:00 pm Friday before El Tour de Mesa and Cochise Classic
***work done must benefit the cycling community. Contact Sheila for more information at 520-745-2033
****Scholarship certificate issued by Sheila at Perimeter Office
Kids Riding for Those Who Can’t
A program of El Tour de Tucson for youth 14 and under that promotes physical activity, community involvement and helping others. Participants are automatically entered into a drawing for a bicycle donated by Ajo Bikes in Tucson, AZ. First, kids 14 and under must be registered to ride El Tour in any of its distances. Once registered, they should write a short paragraph about a special person to whom they wish to dedicate their ride, and tell a little about what makes that person special. Last of all, send the dedication paragraph via regular mail to Perimeter Bicycling Association of America, Inc. 2609 E. Broadway, Tucson, AZ 85716 or email email@example.com. More information can be found on the El Tour Fun Ride web page www.perimeterbicycling.com/el-tour-de-tucson-/fun-ride
El Tour Coloring Contest
For El Tour de Tucson, the Coloring Contest is open to children ages 3 – 12 and is sponsored by The Arizona Daily Star. Participants submit their entries which are judged in three age categories: 3 – 5 years, 6 – 8 years, and 9 – 12. Winning entries are judged based on age appropriate ability and creativity. Winning entry in each age category receives a bicycle donated by Ajo Bikes in Tucson. Coloring contest entry image will be available on the Perimeter website, in the “Caliente” section of The Arizona Daily Star, and in Tail Winds.