- professional cyclists
- highly ranked USA Cycling amateurs
- event participants who have earned the designation
- “Platinum” is for safety: it groups fastest riders together
- “Platinum” is not an award
How to attain “Platinum”
- Finish a qualifying Perimeter Bicycling event within specified times (see chart below)
- Platinum designation expires 3 years from date it was earned.
- Hold a current USA Cycling/ UCI Professional, Cat 1 or 2 racing license for ROAD (track, cyclocross & mountain do not qualify)
- USA Cycling/UCI Professional, Cat 1 or 2 license holders for road and all foreign race license holders with equivalent status as Pro/Cat 1 or 2 as described must submit a copy of their license to Platinum Director at least two (2) weeks prior to the event
- Do not “just show up” and present your license at the Platinum meeting
- Tandems: BOTH riders must have earned platinum designation either on a tandem or individually
- Tandem cyclist to qualify as an Individual: both cyclists must have finished before the Platinum cut off time. If the tandem is a mixed tandem, the male must finish under the male Platinum cutoff time in order for the female to qualify as an Individual cyclist
- Required for entry into Platinum corral at events
- Passes available ONLY at Platinum meetings at Expo/packet pickup: El Tour de Mesa and El Tour de Tucson. Meetings are at noon and 6:00 pm.
- Must attend Platinum meeting to acquire pass
- THERE WILL BE NO DISCUSSION OF PLATINUM DESIGNATION AT THE PLATINUM MEETING OR AT THE START LINE
- Check the lists at least two (2) weeks prior to the first Platinum meeting
- email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Platinum passes NOT available ride morning
- Platinum corral closes 15 min before start of El Tour de Mesa; platinum corral closes 30 minutes before start of El Tour de Tucson. BE ON TIME.
VIP list is not published. Email email@example.com for details
All Platinum Meetings: Noon and 6pm at Expo/Packet pickup
|Time under (hrs)||Time under (hrs)|
|El Tour de Mesa*|
|100K (61-mile) 2019
|El Tour de Tucson|
Platinum times may be adjusted in the future to ensure the safety of our riders
What is VIP Designation?
- VIP riders must attend a mandatory Platinum meeting.
- VIP designation expires 3 years after it is earned.
- Must satisfy the criteria listed below
- Perimeter Bicycling will not automatically assign VIP designation.
- For tandems, BOTH riders must have obtained VIP designation to be issued VIP passes. VIP designation must be applied for and granted at least two (2) weeks prior to the Platinum Meeting
- THERE WILL BE NO DISCUSSION OF VIP AT PLATINUM MEETING OR AT THE START LINE
- VIP cyclists line up in front of the Platinum Riders
VIP criteria within the past 3 years:
- An overall 1st through 10th place 100/111-mile El Tour de Tucson individual male finisher.
- Captain and stoker of a 1st place through 3rd place overall 100/111-mile El Tour de Tucson tandem under 4:45.
- A 1st through 10th place 100/111-mile El Tour individual female cyclist whose time is under 4:45.
- Any cyclist who rode in the Tour de France within the last four years.
- 1st place overall individual male OR 1st place overall individual female finisher in the full distance El Tour de Mesa, or the full distances (165 & 97 mile) Cochise County Cycling Classic.
- Approval by Perimeter Bicycling Rules & Information Committee.
- Email platinum@ perimeterbicycling.com to request review. Submit copies of licenses and/or resume.
Definition of “Gun Time”
Timing begins when the event starts, i.e., “gun time.” Everyone has the same start time.
Updates to this site are made periodically. Please check back.