- professional cyclists
- highly ranked USA Cycling amateurs
- event participants who have earned the designation
- “Platinum” is not an award
- “Platinum” is for safety: it groups fastest riders together
How to attain “Platinum”
- Finish a qualifying Perimeter Bicycling event within specified times (see chart below) within last 3 years. Platinum designation expires 3 years from date it was earned.
- Hold a current USA Cycling/ UCI Professional, Cat 1 or 2 racing license for ROAD (track, cyclocross, mountain does not qualify)
- Tandems: BOTH riders must have earned platinum designation either on a tandem or individually
- Tandem cyclist to qualify as an Individual: both cyclists must have finished before the Platinum cut off time. If the tandem is a mixed tandem, the male must finish under the male Platinum cutoff time in order for the female to qualify as an Individual cyclist
- Required for entry into Platinum corral at events
- Passes available ONLY at Platinum meetings at Expo: El Tour de Mesa and El Tour de Tucson. Meetings are at noon and 6:00pm.
- Must attend Platinum meeting to acquire pass
- Not available ride morning
- No Platinum designation required for Cochise Classic 165 and 95 mile distances; however, these are qualifying event distances
- Platinum corral closes 15 min before start of El Tour de Mesa; platinum corral closes 30 minutes before start of El Tour de Tucson
Platinum Lists: Click on the Alpha list for your last name
- VIP list is not published. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details
All Platinum Meetings: Noon and 6pm at Expo/Packet pickup
|Time under (hrs)||Time under (hrs)|
|El Tour de Mesa|
|Viva Bike Vegas (2014 only)|
|Cochise County Cycling Classic|
|El Tour de Tucson|
* Platinum time is adjusted for 2015 El Tour de Mesa route length change
What is VIP Designation?
- VIP cyclists line up in front of the Platinum Riders
- Earned VIP designation expires 3 years after it is earned.
- VIP riders must attend a mandatory Platinum meeting.
- Must satisfy the criteria listed below
- Must apply by emailing platinum@ perimeterbicycling.com
- Perimeter Bicycling will not automatically assign VIP designation.
- For tandems, BOTH riders must have obtained VIP designation to be issued VIP passes. VIP designation must be applied for and granted prior to the Platinum Meeting
VIP criteria within the past 3 years:
- An overall 1st through 10th place 104/111-mile El Tour de Tucson individual male finisher.
- Captain and stoker of a 1st place through 3rd place overall 104/111-mile El Tour de Tucson tandem.
- A 1st through 10th place 104/111-mile El Tour individual female cyclist whose time is under 4:45.
- Any cyclist who rode in the Tour de France within the last four years.
- 1st place overall individual male OR 1st place overall individual female finisher in the full distance El Tour de Mesa, the full distance Tour of the Tucson Mountains or the full distances (165 & 97 mile) Cochise County Cycling Classic.
- Approval by Perimeter Bicycling Rules & Information Committee.
- Email platinum@ perimeterbicycling.com to request review. Submit copies of licenses and/or resume.
Definition of “Gun Time”
Timing begins when the event starts, i.e., “gun time.” Everyone has the same start time.
Updates to this site are made periodically. Please check back.