America’s Longest Perimeter Bicycling Event
Thank you for a great 30 years of riding
where the “west is still wild”
Join the Mayor’s Fun Ride –
a family-friendly 8 mile ride addition to the
Cochise County Cycling Classic.
Check out the Cochise Classic Mayor’s Fun Ride map here!
Perimeter Bicycling is proud to honor John Howard as the dedication recipient of the 2017 Cochise County Cycling Classic. This humble cycling legend has been the inspiration and coach for many accomplished cyclists who followed him.
Some of John’s accomplishments:
- Land speed record of 152.2 mph on motor-paced bicycle July 20, 1985 (record held until 1995)
- Summer Olympics 1968, 1972, and 1976
- Gold medal in 1971 Pan American Games on US Army Cycling Team
- Four – time US National road cycling champion 1968, 1972, 1973, 1975
- Winner 1981 Ironman Triathlon Championship in Hawaii
- Winner Red Zinger Bicycle Classic in Colorado 1975 and 1976
- Second in inaugural Race Across America 1982
Don’t miss the 30th Cochise Classic!
Come ride with us!
About Cochise Classic
Cochise Classic has been called the jewel of Perimeter Bicycling’s events, offering the most scenic route around southeastern Arizona where the west is still wild. Cyclists in all distances start and finish in Douglas, Arizona. This adventurous ride has experienced a variety of weather conditions including mild temperatures and breezes to outright heat and wind on rural roads in open range (watch out for cattle!). Be prepared and have fun!
Participants in the 165-mile event MUST be supported by a crew with a vehicle. Though there are time stations where cyclists/crews must check in during the ride, there are NO AID STATIONS for this adventure so a personal support crew is required supply food, water, mechanical aid and moral support. Be sure to review the rules regarding night riding if you choose this distance.
Participants in the 95, 47 and 27 mile events will get to take advantage of AID STATIONS along the route supplied with water, fruit and snacks. Other nutrition/food and electrolyte replacements must be supplied by the cyclist. Personal support crews are not permitted on these distances for the safety of all participants.
The start/finish line for the 165, 95, 47 and 27- mile events returns to the Cochise County Fairgrounds! The long stretch of road before the finish makes the first finishes exciting. The Finish Line Fiesta will be adjacent to the finish line so everyone can watch the finishes and enjoy food, drink and we’re working on some entertainment.
On Friday, October 12, come to the Expo from 2:00pm-9:00pm for packet pickup and don’t miss the Pre-Ride Party from 6:30-8:00 pm for a complimentary pasta dinner all at the Cochise County Fairgrounds – meet the Dedication Recipient!
Bring your motor home or tent and stay at the Fairgrounds.
Space is limited contact Cochise County Fairgrounds at 520-364-3819 for more information. Showers are also available at the Fairgrounds for cyclists after the ride.
City of Douglas Visitor Information
Cochise Classic benefits Douglas ARC (DARC)
Enjoy a great ride and raise funds for our primary beneficiary, Douglas ARC and could qualify you for the Treasure Chest. Douglas ARC’s mission is to support and involve people with developmental challenges and enable them to learn, work and live without undue restrictions while maintaining safety and dignity. Douglas ARC provides training for kitchens and landscaping enabling trainees to be contributing members of the community.
Support a cause – your contribution combines with others to make an even greater impact.
Cochise Classic Youth Cycling Program
a program of Perimeter Bicycling Association of America, Inc.
For Cochise County at-risk youth ages 11-18. Our goal is $2,000 to help 50 students participate in bicycle and general fitness training.
Every $40 increment provides one (1) Youth Cycling Participant benefits such as:
• Engage in a 12-week Youth Cycling Training Program (ages 11-18) taught by local health and fitness professionals.
• Learn riding techniques, bike safety & maintenance and proper hydration and nutrition.
• Participate in year-round group training rides and cycling events.
• Receive: helmet, bicycle, cycling clothes, water bottle, FREE entry into the 2017 Cochise County Cycling Classic 27-mile distance event
• Belong to a group of well-trained, healthy young people who support each other and their community.